Are you searching Best scholarship program in the Netherlands?
Good News for International Students! Leiden University offers the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship for International Students to pursue a Master’s degree program. Welcome to ScholarshipsDiary. In this article, we will explore the details of the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship benefits. the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship eligibility criteria, required documents, and the application process step by step.
Interested In the University of Twente Scholarship Master
About Leiden University Excellence Scholarship
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) is a renowned scholarship program offered by Leiden University in the Netherlands. It is designed to attract outstanding international students who demonstrate exceptional academic merit to pursue a master’s degree program at the university.
Leiden University is one of the oldest universities in Europe located in the Netherlands. This university was established by William I, Prince of Orange in 1575. The university offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in fields such as law, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, medicine, and more.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship 2024-2025 is a fully funded tuition fee scholarship program for international students to pursue master’s degrees. This scholarship covers the full tuition fee amount up to € 15,000.
- Governance and Global Affairs,
- Social and Behavioural Sciences,
- African Studies Centre,
- International Institute for Asian Studies
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study program. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
Note: The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
- Non-EEA/EFTA passport holder: Applicants must hold a passport from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). EEA includes EU countries along with Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.
- No nationality restrictions apply for the following programs:
- All LLM Advanced Studies programmes
- MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
- Due to the UK’s departure from the European Economic Area (EEA), UK students are now able to apply for the LExS scholarship in the Netherlands. However, this opportunity doesn’t extend to those who were already living in the Netherlands and registered in their local municipality before January 1, 2021. For more details on Brexit click on the Brexit dossier
Eligibility Criteria/Applicant Requirement
Applicants need the following requirements to be eligible for the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship.
- Applicants must have achieved outstanding and excellent academic records in their previous study program (s) which is relevant to the Master’s program for which they are applying.
- Applicants are expected to be among the top 10% of graduates from their previous study programs,
Students who are granted a LExS must comply with, and confirm in writing, their agreement with the Terms and conditions attached to the scholarship before the awarding of the scholarship.
- Scholarships are not available for applicants who have already completed or obtained a Master’s degree at Leiden University, except for certain programs where specific prior experience or study is required, such as the LLM Advanced Studies programs.
- Scholarships cannot be awarded to students who will follow:
- an LLM (non-advanced) or MSc programme at Leiden Law School, or
- a study program starting in February at the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Sciences, or Leiden Law School.
- Individuals are not eligible for this scholarship, if they do not meet the nationality requirements stated above.
- The LExS cannot be combined with another full scholarship but may be combined with a partial scholarship from an external provider under certain conditions. For more details click here.
Application Process for LExS
Applicants need to follow the following instructions while applying Leiden University Excellence Scholarship application form:
- Applicants need to Apply for online admission to a Master’s program at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable
- Well, it can take up to 2 days to create/apply for admission, so applicants need to start the application before the scholarship deadline.
- Submit your application for admission.
- Return to the Apply screen in your online application.
- Click on Scholarships.
- Look for the LExS scholarship in the scholarships section.
- If eligible, it will now be visible for application.
Note: if you cannot see the LExS in your scholarships section, you have either not yet submitted your application for admission or are not eligible for the LExS.
- If you are interested in applying for the LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter in a PDF file (max. 500 words). This letter should explain why you should be considered for the award.
- Submit your scholarship application before the LExS deadline. Applicants cannot make changes to the application after submitting the application form.
For Multiple Program
- If you want to apply for multiple study programs and wish to apply for a LExS scholarship for each one, you need to fill out a separate LExS application and write a motivation letter within each separate online application for admission.
- Late scholarship applications will not be considered.
- It is the responsibility of the student to make sure they create/submit both their application for admission and their application for a scholarship before the LExS deadline.
For more information about the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship please visit the official website.